ATMC Fiber PPPoE with FreeBSD

It’s been a LONG time since I’ve tried to configure ppp on anything, but my home fiber connection is 1000/100 fiber and none of the routers I’ve tried have been able to fully utilize that speed, so I decided to build my own with some discarded hardware to see if I could improve on that.

tldr; you might need to escape some of the characters in your authkey password

I was able to escape the special chars in my PPPoE password with the \ character, single quotes don’t work, they get passed as-is.

Before you go, “Yea. PFSense. Done.” I did try that too, but the hardware I used for pfSense was REALLY garbo-tier and would only give me about 100mbps. The whole point of this was for me to experiment anyway, so I decided to see if I could get FreeBSD working on some other hardware and if I couldn’t I’d try pfSense again.

PPPoE is NOT that complicated and the documentation is pretty straightforward, but there’s a couple of things that aren’t obvious about the ppp.conf file that tripped me up. I’m writing this blog post mostly to document those in case someone else runs into the same problem.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>